Monday, September 17, 2007

September Soup

It's the middle of September and fall is sending in an R.S.V.P. to a party I did not invite it to! The last couple of days have been chilly/hot ones, the kind that send me out wearing wacky outfits; shorts and flip flops with long sleeved hoodie sweatshirts. If I had a personal fashionista I'm sure she would have at least told me to switch the floppers out for a pair of cute and trendy flats. Whatever!
When I left work today I noticed that the sun was sitting much lower in the sky than it had been just a week before. I'm already dreading those dark by 5:30 days that are soon to come. All of this weather worry started me craving a nice, hot bowl of soup. I went home, pulled out a big red pot, opened up the cupboards, and started opening cans! I ended up with this. It was really good, hit the spot! It only took about 10 minutes and I'll definitely make it again. Hope you might try it too!

September Soup:
1 can of beans ( I only had red Kidney, I bet white would have been better)
1 can of mushroom pieces (no salt added if you have em)
1 pkg of frozen spinach
1 Vadalia onion diced
3 scallion stalks diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 vegetarian bullion cube
cayenne pepper, black pepper, dried basil, and whatever else you think goes; I added some coriander
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Dump your oil, water,  JUICE ONLY~from the can of mushrooms (save the mushrooms for later), spices, bullion, all of your diced onions and scallions into a large pot. Bring it to a boil and let it roll for a couple of minutes. Then pour it all into a blender and pulverize it! Pour it back into the pot and add everything else EXCEPT for the grated cheese. Bring it all back to a nice boil. Ladle into bowls and cover completely with grated cheese. It will melt but if you want it to be really awesome run it under the broiler for a hot minute! Enjoy!

1 comment:

R S Wheeler said...

hey, nice food blog. I'm always looking for some good recipes. And I take personal heed to your comment on lamenting the oncoming "dark at 5:30" comment. I'm a bit of a sun worship person, so winter is a bit of a drag, but that leaves more time for cooking. Anyway, any soup should not go without a nice hearty bread. here's a link to one of my favorites. it's the somewhat well know "no-knead" bread recipe.

http://rscottwheelerdesign.com/?p=45

and for dessert, my favorite goumet cupcake blog:

http://www.cupcakeblog.com/

it's not quite vegetarian (lot's of cream,), but still very good.

enjoy.