Monday, October 8, 2007

Cheddar~Pumpkin Bisque


The first time I ever tried Pumpkin Soup was in Interlocken, Switzerland on a back packing trip with my best friend Kate. Interlocken is a beautiful town in the Alps. We spent our first day there wandering around tiny side roads along pastures full of cows, sheep, and goats all wearing bells around their necks. The mountains that surrounded the valley were covered in snow! It was amazing. Anyway, after a long chilly day of walking we needed major comfort food. We found it in a local cafe. We had Pumpkin soup that was so delicious I had to go back the next day for more. It was served in big round brown crocks with little lids. I crave this soup a few times a year but mostly in the fall. I have definitely not perfected this one, especially since I have no idea what was in it, but here's my version.... it's getting closer. It's really good. It's super, super, easy to make. Let me know if you try it and have any suggestions on variations! :>

1 large 29oz can 100% pure pumpkin
3 cups (low sodium) organic vegetable stock
1 cup cream, or 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese (make a little extra for garnish)
2 tbl spoon butte
1 tbl spoon brown sugar
black pepper to taste
cayenne to taste
good pinch of Cinnamon
2 dashes of allspice or nutmeg
chopped scallions for garnish

Put all ingredients in a large pot, bring it to a boil for a few minutes, stir constantly, bring to a simmer and let bubble for about 10 minutes.
Serve with chopped scallions and a left over grated cheddar cheese

That's it! enjoy!

No comments: