Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It's Growing Time!


PHOTO: My great grandmother on my mom's side, Mary Estelle Daisy Carpenter (aka Memaw), and my great grandfather Peter Nottingham Carpenter (aka Possum).
It's garden startin' time! I can't think of a better way to fuel a passion for eating vegan than growing your own organic fruits and vegetables. My great grandfather, Possum, was a farmer. He was a tall and lanky bean pole of a man. He chewed tobacco and smoked a pipe, and always smelled like freshly dug potatoes. He used to bring us all sorts of fresh fruits and vegetables. He lived just across the rail road tracks from us and he'd leave brown paper bags full of beans and strawberries, watermelons, and greens. I attribute my love of fruits and veggies to Possums gardening.

The only garden I ever grew was about 8 years ago when I was living in Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. The soil on the Shore is known for it's magical growing powers. It's naturally fertile. I just dug up a plot in my backyard with a shovel and a hoe, threw some seeds down, and "presto magic" everything grew. I didn't have to fertilize, weed, or even kill bugs. I did plant the recommended marigold and basil to keep my tomatoes safe. I was working the breakfast shift at a restaurant that spring and summer and I had to be up very early so I was able to keep my garden watered nicely each day before the hot sun started beating down. I absolutely loved that garden. There wasn't even that much in it, just some melons, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, peppers and flowers, but it was so satisfying to walk out in the back yard and pick something to eat. Since that year, I haven't had a garden. I've planted some herbs and tomatoes in containers each summer but that's it. This year I'm doing it though! I'm growing a garden again! Woo Hoo! It's gonna have to be mostly a container garden because I don't have much of a yard, but that's okay! I'm doing it!

I ordered some self watering containers I read about in the book "Incredible Vegetables from Self-Watering Containers". I've seeded arugula, mixed greens, and carrots in those. I will also be planting cucumbers and some little tomatoes in these big 4 gallon water reservoir pots. I ordered some upside-down tomato bags for the heirloom tomatoes. I've never tried them before. I'll post the results later this summer. I have herbs sprouting in the window sill, peppers already in a pot, and I'm going to try my strawberries in a grow bag too. I'm so excited. I hope to turn my deck into a jungle of fruits and veggies by July!

I do have one small spot of yard and I'm gonna cover it with cosmos, poppies, and personal sized watermelon plants!

I hope Possums' green thumb runs in the family! My dad's mom, Gaygie, had a super green thumb too. Her house was covered in plants. She loved begonias. Maybe they'll shoot some love and sunshine down on my potted plants this summer!

Here are some links that I found very helpful in getting started this spring:

Starting From Seeds

Incredible Vegetables from Self-Watering Containers


Self Watering Containers and Upside Down Grown:

No comments: