Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sunbear Squad


I used to work at Richmond Camera Photo Lab. Richmond Animal Control would bring their evidence photos in to be developed. I would often see these photos in the lab before being packaged and I was so shocked by a lot of the images that I started to think of the Animal Control Officers as heros. They are great protectors. I saw images of dog skeletons still attached to chains in backyards. I saw walls and floors in basements splattered with blood from dog fights. I saw an emaciated mother dog who could barely hold her head up in a tiny dirty cage. It was just awful and the list goes on, so when I heard this story about Sunbear I knew there had to be more I could do. I already call Animal Control anytime I see pet problems but that's just me. What about everything that I don't happen to see? This is why I want to start a Sunbear Squad in my town.

Sundbear Squad is a neighborhood program to help prevent the inhumane treatment of pets. You can start your own Sunbear Squad in your town too! It doesn't take a lot of effort, just open eyes, a few phone numbers, and the courage to speak up for the animals that can't speak up for themselves.

Sunbear Squad is named after a dog named Sunbear. She was a pet that was left behind after her family fell on hard times and had to move out of their rental. Sunbear was locked in a laundry room for 6 WEEKS with no food or water before she was rescued. Sadly, the damage was done and Sunbear didn't make it. She passed away a few days later. Her story prompted Anna Nirva to start a community alert group which grew into the Sunbear Squad which is a group of people committed to keeping their ears and eyes open to local pets. Sunbear Squad folks check up on yards and alley ways keeping animal control numbers handy to report any instances of abuse such as dogs on chains with no food, water, or shelter. Sunbear could have survived if a neighbor would have reported her constant whining instead of just wishing it would stop. If you think something is suspicious just have your local animal control check the situation out. It can't hurt.

I'm going to get some friends involved and start a Sunbear Squad in my neighborhood. I hope some of you will do the same. Please check out this link for all the great info you'll need to officially get started.
Sunbear Squad

The critters will thank you! :>

No comments: