Thursday, May 21, 2009

It ain't easy going VEGAN!


It's been a few months since I started trying to eliminate all dairy and eggs from my vegetarian diet. I'm having some trouble! It's not that eating vegan foods is difficult, I've been turned on to some really great dishes and products. The problem is turning down food that others prepare for me. I don't want to be a pain in the rear. I feel like my eating habits are already annoying to other people. I have several food allergies and I always get phone calls when I'm invited to functions that go something like this "now what is it you're allergic to? ... Oh, raw garlic, sesame, white grapes, barley, mangos, AND CHOCOLATE, etc. etc. etc... Oh... AND you're a vegetarian?!" I hate making other people go out of their way to accomodate me. Some people are so nice about it but I can tell some others just don't get it. It's okay though. I live and eat the way I do for a good purpose. I love it when someone realizes how easy it is to actually be a vegetarian. I'd like to say that about Veganism too.
I've found I have to think about what is in everything like the bread, and pie crust even if it's a fruit pie. I gave myself this rule that I would eat vegan and shop vegan when doing so for myself, but when I ate what others had prepared I would go ahead and eat milk and eggs. The problem is I wanted to make this big meaningful change in my life and I feel guilty or like I'm cheating when I eat the dairy and egg products. It's a tough line. I think I'm still headed in the right direction. Someone told me it takes a transitional period to go totally vegan. I just wanted to do it Cold Faux Turkey, ya know.
I'll report back on this in a month or so and see how I'm doing then.

I'm off to make myself something I don't feel bad about right now.

:> Mary

No comments: