Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Animal Friendly Pet Food


It's not really all that hard to make smart, healthy, and animal friendly choices when deciding on what to feed myself, but when it comes to my pets, I'm having some trouble! I've been reading on the internet about raising pets as vegans. I love the idea of it but I haven't been informed enough on the the health facts of vegan diets for cats and dogs yet to make that decision for them. They love meat! I mean go crazy for it! I hate giving it to them. I have been reading up on animal friendly pet food manufacturers. My sister, Toot, has worked at an Animal Hospital for 17 years. She has four dogs of her own. She is extremely picky about what she feeds them. I called her for advice and she recommended Eagle Pack Holistic Select. I read about their company and they seem to check out. They are listed on the Companion Animal Food Guide on the Caring Consumer website: http://www.caringconsumer.com/resources_foodguide.asp as being a company that does not perform animal testing. They claim to be hormone free and to have no added antibiotics.
Here's a link to Eagle Pack if you want to read more: http://www.eaglepack.com/index.html

This dog and cat food is not cheap folks so I hope it's totally worth it! Reviews I read say it is. I had a hard time finding a local place that carries Eagle Pack. I ended up ordering in bulk on line because it saved me money even with the shipping. The best deal I found was Hearty Pet Pet http://www.heartypet.com/ which beat everyone else's prices by 20 bucks for my order of 2 33 lb bags of dog food, 2 cases of canned, and 1 16lb bag of catfood. I think it's because they're having a sale on Eagle Pack.

I read about many other companies. Paul Newman's Organics seems to be a good choice too. You can get that brand at Ellwood Thompson's and some other local pet stores.

I would love any feedback on this issue. This is all new to me. I have 5 pets which equals a lot of food. I'd like to feed them the best and most cruelty free products I can afford. Please respond if you have links, suggestions, etc.
Thanks so much,

Mary, Doctor Stevens, Nurse Hazel, Bonesy Jonesy, Wanda Lewis, and Peter J. Cat :>

1 comment:

Dickie Haskell said...

Thanks Marry for your insights. Im also trying to convince my roommate to spend a little more money for holistic organic cat food. All over the net people say cats need animal protein but I believe its partially the animal proteins that make animals and people aggressive. This is way out there but I believe there are people who live in a civilization under Mount Shasta California called Telos who have huge cats who have been not been given anything but vegetable proteins for thousands of years and they are docile. Of course they are feed so they dont have to fight but the point is that we need to stop feeding slaughter house foods to ourselves and our animals. By doing so our life spans will be extended exponentially. Thank you for thinking outside the box and taking your healthy as well as your animals health into your control. Status quote thinking is slowing down our evolution. Best wishes