Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Starting Line: Vegan Waffles




I have decided to lean the way of the Vegan. This is something I've wanted to do for quite a while. I just wasn't ready to let go of cheese and dairy... oh my God and butter! I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. But, now I feel ready, the time is right. The more I read about the inhumane treatment to animals even on dairy farms and farms that are supposed to be more animal friendly, the more I feel it's the least I can do in my own daily life to help make the world a little bit better. I really want to do this. I bought a new cook book yesterday and read almost all of it last night. It is a great cook book. If you're interested, check out this link:

http://www.theppk.com/veganwithavengeance.html

The recipes look super delicious. I can't wait to try them out! My plan is to veganize any food that I prepare for myself, and to order vegan when I eat out. If someone else is preparing food for me, if I am a guest, then I will try to remain on the vegan diet but will resort to just eating vegetarian if it's not convenient for my host. I think this is a great way to start.
This is day one, March 1st. I am having waffles and black coffee for breakfast. My parents gave me a waffle maker for Christmas. I have used it at least twice a week every week since January. It's amazing. The waffles called for eggs and milk. I substituted ground flaxseed for the eggs, and just used an equal amount of soy milk instead of cows milk. I always doctor up my waffles with fruit and nuts, this morning I'm having them with blueberries and almonds. Here's the recipe:

2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart pancake/waffle mix
3 tablespoons (or more if you'd like) ground flaxseed
1 cup chopped raw almonds
1 cup frozen wild blueberries
1 cup soy milk
2 table spoons vegetable oil

stir together and pour onto piping hot waffle iron! Deliciousness will be yours in just a few short minutes... GUILT FREE! Enjoy!

No comments: